Happy New Year, wonderful humans!
I had a wonderful, restful Christmas holiday. I didn’t travel to see family, though we did share a Zoom meal together on Christmas Eve. I didn’t even attend a party, just one church service. On Christmas Day, I made some cookies and soup and then rested and watched movies. It was a quiet, down day that I desperately needed.
I’ll confess that although I preach to you about rest and self-care, I too often violate my own advice. When I worked for other people, cutting off work wasn’t as big of a problem for me. Working for myself, with my livelihood hanging in the balance, I too often push through, sending just one more email or scheduling another social media post, or writing another blog.
I know I need to get a handle on this. I have set an intention in 2022 to get more rest, good food and exercise. I’m planning to start that with at least one extra total day off every month, like the one I just experienced for Christmas. Feel free to hold me to it.
So, what do you want most from 2022?
You may not yet have an answer to that. That’s OK. That’s why I’m here. Here are some journaling prompts that might help. Take 20-30 minutes for quiet, and let your mind and body wander through a few of these questions:
- What does my heart desire most in the new year?
- What holds me back from going after it?
- What is my intention in the new year?
- What is one simple, easy thing I can do to take the next step forward?
- What is something I can let go of?
- What about my life currently brings me joy?
- What challenges me most?
- What makes me frustrated, angry or sad?
- What do I get excited about?
- How do I want to grow in the new year?
- What does joy and excitement feel like in my body?
- What does sadness, disappointment or hopelessness feel like in my body?
- What is one thing that I can change in my life?
- What am I doing when I feel healthy, rested and whole?
If you feel yourself getting stuck on the journaling prompts, try one of the following mindfulness meditations and practices. These are some of what I do to get my energy unstuck.
Breath of Joy
Do you want more of a New Year’s boost? Celebrate the new year with me Dec. 31, 2022, 1-3 p.m. EST, with a yoga dance party, gentle movement, restorative yoga (the laying around kind), guided meditation and reflection all designed to unstick your energy and fill you with joy for 2022.. This class is held for six people in person in Columbus, OH or via Zoom — there’s no pressure to turn on your camera and lots of encouragement to do whatever your body needs! Register now.
P.S. Want to defy burnout all year long? This yoga celebration, weekly yoga classes, monthly group coaching, annual planning sessions and much more is included in my Defy the Trend Community Packages. The community is open for new members through Jan. 6, 2023 and won’t reopen again until spring 2023. Jump in now to start your new year burnout-free!